Who is Kilmar Abrego Garcia? Trump spokeswoman claims ‘lots of evidence’ deported Maryland man in MS-13
An “administrative error” that led to a Maryland man being deported to a brutal prison in El Salvador as part of Donald Trump’s immigration policy has thrust Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia into the national spotlight.
Abrego Garcia’s plight was the subject of a story published Tuesday in the Atlantic, which reported that Trump administration officials claimed they could not bring Abrego Garcia back to the United States because it lacks jurisdiction to do so.
The El Salvadoran national was arrested March 12 by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents.
He was flown three days later to El Salvador’s harsh Terrorism Confinement Center despite an immigration judge in 2019 blocking Abrego Garcia from being deported to his native country amid fears for his safety.
“This removal was an error,” an ICE official stated in an affidavit filed Monday in Maryland federal court.
The filing claimed Abrego Garcia’s arrest last month was “due to his prominent role in MS-13,” but court records did not explain the evidence against him.
On Tuesday afternoon, White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said there were multiple pieces of proof of Abrego Garcia’s ties to the brutal El Salvadoran gang.
“There’s a lot of evidence, and the Department of Homeland Security and ICE have that evidence, and I saw it this morning,” she told reporters.
The Atlantic story said Abrego Garcia shares a 5-year-old disabled son with his American wife and works as a union sheetmetal apprentice.
Leavitt criticized the outlet’s portrayal of Abrego Garcia while omitting that he illegally entered the United States.
“This individual was an MS-13 ringleader. This individual was also engaged in human trafficking,” she said. “If you just saw the headline from the insane, failing Atlantic magazine this morning, you’d think this individual was the Father of the Year living in Maryland, leaving a peaceful life, when that couldn’t be further from the truth.”
Abrego Garcia’s case incensed Democrats on social media who argued the case with Vice President JD Vance.
Jon Favreau, former head speechwriter for Barack Obama and co-host of the podcast “Pod Save America,” called out Trump administration officials and Elon Musk on X.
“Any comment on this, @marcorubio ? How about you, @JDVance? @elonmusk? You just admitted to accidentally sending an innocent father from Maryland to a torture dungeon in El Salvador. And you refuse to do anything about it,” Favreau tweeted.
“Anyone else who supports this administration have anything to say about this? Any of you Republicans? Any of you Fox News hosts or podcasters or other assorted sycophants? This is f—–monstrous,” Favreau added.
Vance responded to Favreau, saying it was “gross” that the podcaster was defending “gang members.”
“My comment is that according to the court document you apparently didn’t read he was a convicted MS-13 gang member with no legal right to be here,” the vice president tweeted. “My further comment is that it’s gross to get fired up about gang members getting deported while ignoring citizens they victimize.”
Conor Lamb, a former Democratic congressman from Pennsylvania, accused Vance of “lying” about the case.
“The VP is lying about a building trades union member who: a judge ordered not to be removed; never committed a crime in 14 years; has a 5 year old; is now trapped in a Salvadoran prison no one gets out of. Catholics, union members, believers in the Constitution, take note,” he tweeted Tuesday.