Masked 15-year-old boy fired 8 shots at Tuscaloosa police, authorities say

A juvenile is in custody after police say he fired multiple shots at Tuscaloosa officers.

The officers were patrolling the 600 block of 23rd Avenue East about 6:30 p.m. Monday after gunfire had been reported in that area the day before.

While on patrol, they spotted a male who was rapidly walking between two houses. As they drove past the house, said Tuscaloosa Violent Crimes Unit Capt. Jack Kennedy, they saw the male standing in a “semi-concealed” position, wearing a mask and brandishing a gun.

The suspect fired at least eight rounds in rapid succession at the officers, who accelerated and drove past the suspect.

The suspect was then observed running away and jumping fences, Kennedy said.

“The officers did not stop, or otherwise make any contact with the suspect, and were merely driving along the street when they were fired upon,” Kenned said. “The officers did not return fire.”

The bullets did not hit the police vehicle but did hit a nearby home.

“The angle of the strikes, as well as the officers dash cam video confirmed that the suspect was firing towards the officers’ vehicle,” Kennedy said.

Police set up a perimeter and began searching for the suspect.

The Violent Crimes Unit was called out to assume the investigation. Only investigators and supervisors not affiliated with TPD were involved in the investigation, Kennedy said.

After speaking with witnesses from the neighborhood, as well as reviewing the officers’ dash cam and body cam, and multiple sources of surveillance video, a 15-year-old boy was developed as a suspect.

The teen suspect and the alleged gun he used were located later Monday night.

The suspect is charged through juvenile court with two counts of attempted murder and shooting into an occupied vehicle.

Kennedy said the 15-year-old is also suspect of firing shots in the area on Sunday.