16-year-old charged in Birmingham shooting that killed man, injured woman and child

A 16-year-old boy has been charged with capital murder in a Birmingham shooting that killed a man and injured two others, including a child.

The teen, whose name is not being released because of his age, is charged in the March 21 shooting that killed 20-year-old Dorian Jackson.

Just after 9:35 p.m. that Friday, South Precinct officers were dispatched to the 200 Block of Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard on report of a person shot.

Officers arrived on the scene and were alerted to Jackson lying in a backyard in the 300 Block of Iota Avenue suffering from a gunshot wound.

Birmingham Fire and Rescue Service transported the victim to UAB where he died Saturday morning.

Two additional victims, an adult female and a 12-year-old boy, showed up via private vehicle at Princeton Baptist Medical Center.

The boy suffered life-threatening injuries, Officer Truman Fitzgerald said.

Police officials previously said the three victims traveled to the location to meet someone when they were all shot, possibly while inside the vehicle. Beyond that, a motive has not been disclosed.

The Crime Reduction Team took the 16-year-old suspect into custody Tuesday and announced his arrest Thursday evening.

In addition to capital murder, the teen is also charged with two counts of attempted murder, discharging a firearm into an occupied dwelling, discharging a firearm into an occupied vehicle and certain persons forbidden to possess a pistol.

Fitzgerald said the suspect is charged as an adult and will be held without bond in the Jefferson County Jail.